Virtual team building activities have gained significant importance in the wake of the pandemic, as teams across the globe adapted to remote work and virtual meetings. While this new arrangement has provided increased flexibility and improved work-life balance, it has also posed challenges in maintaining team connections and fostering relationships. To help bridge this gap and promote team cohesion, morale, and a sense of community, consider these 15 engaging and not lame virtual team building activities for your remote team.
Here is Rockoly’s pick for 15 not lame team building activities:
- Virtual Scavenger Hunt: Set up a virtual scavenger hunt for your team, with clues and challenges that they need to solve while on a video call. This can be a fun and interactive way for team members to work together and problem-solve. More on scavenger hunt and 40 best scavenger hunt clues in this popular post.
- Virtual Escape Room: Create a virtual escape room for your team, where they need to solve puzzles and clues to escape. This can be a great team building activity that promotes collaboration and critical thinking.
- Virtual Game Night: Host a virtual game night, where team members can play online games like trivia, bingo, or charades. This can be a fun and low-key way for team members to bond and get to know each other better.
- Virtual Book Club: Start a virtual book club, where team members can discuss and review books related to their work. This can be a great way to foster learning and promote intellectual curiosity among team members.
- Virtual Coffee Breaks: Host virtual coffee breaks where team members can chat and connect with each other over a cup of coffee. This can be a simple but effective way to promote socialization and camaraderie among team members.
- Virtual Happy Hour: Host a virtual happy hour, where team members can unwind and socialize over drinks. This can be a fun and relaxed way to promote team bonding and reduce stress. Rockoly loves this virtual team building activity and have turned it into a Happy Hour artform. And if you are a wine lover, we recommend doing a wine Happy Hour tasting. I mean every hour with wine is a Happy Hour.
- Virtual Lunch and Learn: Host virtual lunch and learn sessions, where team members can learn about new skills and topics while eating lunch. This can be a great way to promote learning and professional development among team members.
- Virtual Talent Show: Host a virtual talent show, where team members can showcase their skills, such as singing, dancing, or playing an instrument. This can be a fun and entertaining way to promote team bonding and creativity.
- Virtual Cook-Off: Host a virtual cook-off, where team members can share their favorite recipes and cooking tips. This can be a great way to promote healthy eating and foster a sense of community around food. Cooking workshops is Rockoly’s special sauce and we love to create an unforgettable team building activity for you.
- Virtual Team Trivia: Host virtual team trivia games, where team members can test their knowledge on various topics. This can be a fun and competitive way to promote learning and teamwork among team members.
- Virtual Movie Night: Host a virtual movie night, where team members can watch a movie together and discuss it afterwards. This can be a fun and low-key way to promote team bonding and shared experiences.
- Virtual Fitness Challenge: In today’s fast-paced digital world, virtual team building activities have become increasingly popular as more organizations adopt remote working arrangements. These activities help maintain employee morale, foster team spirit, and enhance communication among colleagues. One such activity is hosting a virtual fitness challenge, which encourages team members to participate in physical activities like yoga, push-ups, or planks, all while competing with one another. This fun and engaging approach not only promotes health and wellness but also strengthens team bonds, making it an excellent addition to your lineup of virtual team building activities.
- Virtual Creative Workshop: Host a virtual creative workshop, where team members can learn a new craft or skill together, such as painting, drawing, or knitting. This can be a great way to promote creativity and shared experiences among team members.
- Virtual Karaoke Night: Host a virtual karaoke night, where team members can sing their favorite songs and have fun. This can be a great way to promote team bonding and shared experiences.
- Virtual Charitable Activity: Virtual charitable activities are an excellent way for remote teams to bond while giving back to their communities or supporting a cause. These activities allow team members to engage in acts of kindness and generosity, fostering a sense of unity and purpose within the group. Here are some ideas for virtual charitable activities that your team can participate in:
- Online fundraiser: Organize an online fundraiser for a specific charity or cause that your team is passionate about. You can use crowdfunding platforms like GoFundMe, Kickstarter, or Donorbox to create a campaign and invite team members to contribute and share the fundraiser with their networks.
- Virtual volunteering: Many non-profit organizations offer virtual volunteering opportunities that your team can participate in. Roles might include social media management, content creation, or data entry. Assign tasks according to team members’ skills and interests to maximize engagement.
- Skill-sharing webinars: Encourage team members to share their knowledge and expertise through webinars or online workshops. Charge a small fee for attendance and donate the proceeds to a charity of your team’s choice.
- Remote charity race: Organize a virtual charity race or fitness challenge where team members can walk, run, or cycle individually while tracking their progress through a fitness app. Collect pledges from friends and family members to sponsor their efforts, with the funds raised going to a chosen charity.
- Online charity auction: Host a virtual auction where team members can donate items, experiences, or services for bidding. The winning bids can be donated to a selected charity or non-profit organization.
- Digital care packages: Create digital care packages for people in need, such as hospitalized children, veterans, or the elderly. Team members can contribute uplifting messages, e-books, music, or virtual art to the package, which can then be sent electronically to the recipients.
By participating in virtual charitable activities, your team can connect on a deeper level while making a positive impact on their community or a cause they care about. These activities not only strengthen team bonds but also create lasting memories and a sense of pride in their collective efforts.
For more ideas for not lame virtual team building activities that are outside of Cooking, Happy Hour and Wine tastings, we recommend: Team Building Awards
Why care about team building in the first place?
- Team building is an important aspect of a company’s success, and virtual team building is designed to foster team cohesion and engagement among remote team members.
- Remote team members can enjoy each other’s company without the constraints of travel schedules, expensive accommodations, or other logistical challenges that come with being in person.
- The benefits of team building events include improved communication, increased productivity, keeping people connected, building morale, mental health improvement, and having fun.
- Improved communication is a key benefit of team building events, as they provide a more relaxed and fun environment for coworkers to connect and discuss topics outside of work.
- Team building events can increase productivity by helping coworkers feel more comfortable communicating with one another, leading to improved collaboration on tasks.
- For remote teams, team building events are essential for keeping people connected, especially as remote work can be isolating and lead to feelings of loneliness.
- Team building events are an excellent way to get people together who may not typically have the chance to interact, leading to stronger bonds across departments and potentially improving future projects and endeavors.
- Building morale is another key benefit of team building events, as they can help to encourage teamwork and excite employees about working together.
- Team building events can also have a positive impact on mental health, providing a much-needed break from the stress of work and allowing team members to have fun and share experiences in ways that may not be possible on-site.
- Ultimately, virtual team building provides an excellent opportunity for remote team members to socialize and bond with co-workers, allowing them to catch up outside of normal business hours and providing a much-needed break from the demands of work.